Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Thursday's Dr.'s appt September 22 Day 3 of cycle

So, we go into dr.'s consultation room (third time) and he walks in with a UT intern and says, "Well, umbrellagirl, aren't you an interesting one?"  :) at least I'm not a boring one!  HA! 

He says that from the bloodwork from my gyny, it showed that I ovulated (by the numbers) and we had no reason to doubt that I did not ovulate and ovulate pretty well.  But, all three of our ultrasounds (before our attempted iui's) did not show any eggs...some small follicles...one finally measuring 11mm, but nothing big and no eggs at all.

So, he said one of two things:
1) I do not ovulate
2) or I ovulate but very late and not very well

So,   he said the next thing we can do is do letrozole (5 mg) and add gonatotrophins (SP?) which are injections.  I was totally expecting him to say the only hope was IVF and I was going to be thinking that even if we decided to do that, we would prob have to wait unil the Summer to do it so I would be totally calm and no stress!!  But, I was actually okay with this new plan.  But, he said the whole process including pairing these injections and meds with an IUI would be around $1250.  The injections would be $250.  He said he would try and find a sample pack for us this first time.  He asked me what cycle day I was on and it was cycle day 3...of course...perfect timing to start treatment!!  I was inside hoping that we could have another month to think about things (i tend to procrastinate) and he said we could start that night!!!  I started talking about how stressed I've been at school and he said, 'let me give you a minute to talk about it.' 
When he left the room, I started bawling!!!  I told DH that this was VERY hard for me... he said he knew and that he would be there for me and that he would cook dinners every night for this month if I wanted him to!  That did cloud my judgment a little..HA! 

The theme for that day was JUST DO IT.  I decided to just do it and make a decision quickly.  We had already done the Letrozole before and there weren't really bad side effects and the shots would be done within a week and this might be our chance at having a baby, so we said YES!  The dr. came in and I was still crying on DH's shoulder.  You know, once you start you can't stop the flow!!! 
Anyway, he handed me the chilled Follistim (gonatotrophins) and said that we could have these samples!!! WHOA!  That's worth $250..thanks DOC!

I started crying all over again!  He sent the nurse in to tell us about the timing calendar for everything.  I was still crying and couldn't DRY IT UP.  She showed us how to prepare the follistim pen and needle and everything...then asked the amazing question of DO YOU WANT TO TRY A SHOT TODAY? 

UM, ALL SIGNS POINT TO NO WAY.  But, DH said I prob should and I knew I needed to...didn't want to, but no pain no gain.  And, the nurse didn't want me to get home and not do it.  I agreed.

So, I hiked up my dress in the room and took the shot in my hand and looked at the nurse and said, "i can't do this" "i need a stool..i may pass out" The nurse looked at me and said..."tell yourself, 'i can do this.' "

So, I did.  I can do this. I CAN do this. I CAN DO this. I CAN DO THIS!!!!  She said push it in fast and count to three.  I did it and it was no big deal!!!!!!!!!!!  She got ready to give me a high 5 and I bear hugged her!!!!  I kept saying YES!!!

We went out and my Dr. was wondering where DH was..I told him he has the tendency to pass out, so i sent him out to wait.  DH heard us talking and came back there and defended himself!  FUNNY!

So, they gave us an outline of everything
day 3-7 pills 5 mg letrozole
Day 7, 9, 11, do 75 ml's (?) of follistim injections
Day 12 (saturday) Ultrasound to see what's going on

If things look really good:
Ovidrel shot on day 12 night
IUI on Monday morning Oct. 3rd
and possible IUI on Tuesday morning Oct. 4th

If things look not so good:
Possibly more injections sat and sunday
Another u/s on Monday morning to see if it looks good.
Then, Ovidrel in office on Monday morning
IUI scheduled for Tuesday, Oct. 4th
It all depends on Saturday!! 

I read a day ahead tonight in chronological Bible study.  Talking about Elizabeth being barren...."For NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE WITH GOD."  Amen.  No matter how many fertility meds or treatments there are, God is the ONLY giver of LIFE.  He will ordain the number of our days and HE rejoices over us with singing. Praise you, Jesus!!

No comments:

Post a Comment